Functions of Education
Functions of Education – Theoretical Perspectives Summarized
Education Functionalist Perspective :
• Promotes social order in society (Durkheim)
• Allows for effective role allocation (Davis and Moore)
• Foster the collective conscience, thorough the transmission of norms, morals and values. (Parsons)
• Creates a skilled labour force (Durkheim)
Bowles and Gintis
• Mechanism of social control
• Creates labourers for the capitalist system
• Socializes individuals into the status quo – justifying the un-equal class divisions.
• Allows for alienation of students, which is later translated into alienation in the work place.
Hargreaves, Cicourel, Lacey , Kituse & Becker et.al
• Allows for labelling of students – eg. Good bad, smart, dull.
• Streaming for the labour force.
• Influenced life chances, in terms of opportunities for monetary and non-monetary vocations.